JESSICA THERRIEN

From Imagination To Publication

Monday, February 20, 2012

Writers Campaign Challenge #1

As part of Rachael Harrie's Platform-Building Campaign we've been given our first flash fiction challenge. The Challenge is:

Write a short story/flash fiction story in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, including a poem. Begin the story with the words, “Shadows crept across the wall”. These five words will be included in the word count. 
If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional), do one or more of these:
  • end the story with the words: "everything faded." (also included in the word count)
  • include the word "orange" in the story
  • write in the same genre you normally write
  • make your story 200 words exactly!

The Other Side


     Shadows crept across the wall. It was him.
     “I know you’re here.” My voice cut through the silence of my empty bedroom.
     Every night he’d been coming. Invisible, but present, his silhouetted form the only proof I wasn’t crazy. I clicked on my bedside lamp. He couldn’t hide in the orange glow.
     I gasped as the light outlined his shaded figure.
     He moved quickly, away from me.
     “Don’t go,” I shouted. “I want to come with you.”
     He stopped, came closer. I reached for him. The way the air warmed where he stood was both terrifying and exciting. He was real.
     I felt the warmth on my face, his hand.
     “I know it’s you, Jack,” I said, tears wetting my lashes. I’d never loved anyone else. He’d died too soon. “Please take me with you.”
     The warmth moved to my lips, and I breathed it in, the familiar scent of sage and earth.
     “Please.”
     His invisible hands found my neck, gently at first. The pulse of my heart quickened beneath the heat of his fingers.
     “Do it.”
     The loss of air was startling, but I wanted this. I couldn’t live without him. I smiled with closed eyes as everything faded.

If you liked my story, you can give it a thumbs up here. I'm #47.

42 comments:

  1. Whoa that was really good! So heart-wrenching. Loved it :)
    You have my vote!

    I'm entry #19

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Jessica. Great scene.

    ~Sabrina #14

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, wow. Loved this one! Excellent job. I want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dig dialogue scenes. So much can be said about he characters and the setting by what people say. Definitely a favorite of mine so far. Nice one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jessica! Congratulations on your book - saw your picture on Mark from Hawaii's blog today and I'm not sure which of you looked happier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Damm you talented people (shakes fist).. coming here and ruining it for all the rest of us. ;) Seriously loved it, and I'm not real a paranormal romancey type of guy. Just tremendous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I'm already a Jessica Therrien fan. :D Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was great - swept me right in! I'm visiting from Mark's blog - congrats on your upcoming release!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Beautiful and tragic. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, how sad. I hope they at least got to be together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wanted to let you know that you've moved on to the second round of judging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is great. A ghost/love story? Can't beat that! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Touching and bittersweet - loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was sad. I loved the way it was written and I wanted to read more! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. (Ooh, I saw that picture when I was googling for pictures to add to my post!)

    WOW, hectic ending! Such a well-written piece of fiction. "The loss of air was startling"...

    Gave it a thumbs up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay that was intense! I really enjoyed it. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmm, if this is a glimpse of what I get to read when Oppression comes out, my level of excitement just went WAY up! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved this one! Great job! You have my vote! :D

    I'm #37

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! Great job! Definitely gets a "Like" from me! New follower - look forward to reading your posts! Good luck with your release!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Creepy, but very nice. Made the air catch in my throat.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had chills reading this. Very nicely done!

    I'm #36 if you want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a way to go! love across any boundary.
    beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great flow. Really enjoyed it! Nice job & good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very nice! I really like this. In my WIP, one of my characters smells like sage, too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aw, a sweet ghost story! How unique! Well done. I'm a new follower and entry #96

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow. Definitely loved this. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautifully written. I loved the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great story! I enjoyed reading it. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Spooky! I guess that's taking love to the ultimate. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Loved your disruption of Jack

    #109

    ReplyDelete
  31. Super! You get a vote from me. = )

    Melissa Maygrove
    Campaign Entry #149

    ReplyDelete
  32. Interesting twist to the usual love story. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous and touching. I'm liking!! Great job.

    #169

    ReplyDelete
  34. A haunting love story. I didn't even mean to be pun-y, but that's the best word to describe it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Absolutely breath-taking, literally. I really enjoyed the picture you painted. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete